I am excited to share my journey of building a prototype EEG headset, The Khaydarin Neuralisk, which will be a cheap and high-quality alternative for home use. Although the headset is not physically made yet, I have put much effort into designing the circuit and figuring out the necessary components.
The idea for this project came to me when I was trying to build my own OpenBCI components but was having trouble sourcing some parts. So, I decided to take matters into my own hands and create an EEG headset prototype from scratch.
The headset will be 3D printed using TPU, a flexible and durable material. The circuit includes 20x INA128 instrumentation amplifiers, 20x silver chloride electrodes, 3x MCP3008 ADCs, 20x LM358 operational amplifiers, 1x HC-05 Bluetooth module, resistors and capacitors for the circuit, diodes, a 1x Gens Ace 3.7V 450mAh LiPo battery, 22 AWG PTFE or silicone wire, JST connectors, header pins and connectors, and electrode connectors.
While the headset is not yet fully functional, I have put a lot of thought into how the components will interface with each other and the BeagleBone Black. The INA128 amplifiers will need to be connected to the power supply, input signal, and output signal on the BeagleBone Black. The MCP3008 ADCs can communicate using the SPI interface. The analog inputs and outputs must be connected to the appropriate pins on the board. The LM358 operational amplifiers can be connected similarly to the INA128 amplifiers, and the power supply, input signal, and output signal will also need to be connected to the BeagleBone Black.
The HC-05 Bluetooth module will need to be connected to the serial interface on the BeagleBone Black, and Python code will need to be written to communicate with it using the UART interface. The Gens Ace LiPo battery will need to be connected to the BeagleBone Black, and code will need to be written to monitor its voltage and ensure that it is charged and discharged correctly.
Finally, the electrode wires and connectors must be connected to the appropriate pins on the BeagleBone Black. Code will need to be written to read the signals from the electrodes using the INA128 amplifiers and MCP3008 ADCs, and signal processing algorithms may need to be implemented in Python to filter and analyze the EEG signals.
Although I have yet to physically build the headset and test its functionality, I am excited about the possibilities and the potential impact it could have as a cheap and high-quality alternative for home use. You can checkout my progress on GitHub.